Ensure the safety of your home or business with these helpful locksmith ideas and recommendations.
There are numerous low-cost options for home security. This collection of simple home security suggestions has been put together by Locksmiths in Blackpool to help you beat the burglar.
Common Sense Caution
- Never let a stranger in through the front door. Install a door viewer (peep / spy hole) or a door chain so you can see who is at your door before you open it.
- Burglars can shatter a window and reach inside to unlock the door if keys are left on the inside of door locks or window ledges near the door. Keep your keys out of sight and out of harm’s way.
- Key tags with your name and address should be avoided. Your keys could be stolen if you misplace them away from home.
Physical safety is a must
- Make sure your windows have locks installed. Windows on the ground level or accessible via flat roofs, for example, should be kept locked at all times.
- A 5 lever deadlock is recommended for all external doors, according to the home office. British Standard BS 3621:2004 locks should be installed or upgraded to.
- You should secure your sheds and outbuildings with a heavy-duty lock and padlock to prevent theft. You should never leave expensive lawn equipment outside, even if it is just for a short time.
- Ladders and other equipment that could be used to break into your home should be secured with a chain and padlock.
- Driveways with gravel or pebbles serve as a visual cue that someone is about to approach your home. Burglars are aware of this, and it serves to deter them.
- Install window blinds. Because of their noise, Venetian or vertical blinds can serve as an effective deterrent for intruders.
- In order to protect your home, you should either install an alarm system or place an exterior dummy alarm box in a prominent location.
- Display the Neighbourhood Watch and CCTV in operation stickers when you join your local Neighbourhood Watch programme.
- Make it more difficult for criminals to hide by trimming back trees and hedges near your home.
- Mark your valuables! As the markings make it more difficult for a burglar to sell your products, they can serve as an effective deterrent.
- Burglars are deterred by motion-activated light switches since there is no place for them to hide.
When you’re not at home, If you want to make your home appear occupied, you should:
- Use a timed switch to activate and deactivate a radio so that it appears that someone is at home.
- Use timer switches to turn on and off the lights at appropriate times of day and night.
- Arrange to have your curtains opened through the day by a neighbour or family member.
- Refuse the milk and papers. Consider hiring someone to keep an eye on your property while you’re on vacation.
Choosing a Locksmith in Blackpool
- Because you don’t want to hand over the keys to your home, car, or place of business to just anyone, finding the correct locksmith is critical.
- Verify the locksmith’s credentials; he or she must be licenced and qualified. You can also see if they are a member of a trade union or a locksmiths’ union.
- Before hiring a locksmith, do some research on the business to make sure there aren’t any complaints or unfavourable reviews.
- Check to see whether there’s a physical location and how many people are employed by the business.
- Ask for references and testimonials if you are still unsure.
The businesses featured on this website are all highly qualified and trusted locksmiths in the Blackpool & Fylde Coast area. They cover installation and replacement, door repair, vehicle and home burglary, and key creation and duplication. Installers are all highly skilled, and their surveyors have a wealth of knowledge about the most cost-effective ways to install a wide range of doors and locks.